Speak-out Youth Group (SYG)
Rights and Responsibilities
As a member of the SYG, during meetings and while online, you can expect:
- To be treated with respect about your, ethnicity, sexuality, religion, culture, opinions, etc.
- To have your personal information kept private and strictly confidential, unless otherwise agreed upon. The one exception: If you disclose information that leads us to be concerned that you may harm yourself, harm others or have been harmed by someone else we have a duty to report our concern to the proper authroities. This is called Duty to Report
- To be given a safe space to express yourself and that all measures will be taken to ensure your safety while attending meetings. This is accomplished in part by agreeing to follow our Community Agreement.
- To participate in activities that are appropriate and in keeping with the vision of hte Speak-out Youth Group.
- To be heard - We are always open to hear your feedback and suggestions about things that happen in the group. If you have something you would like to discuss privately, SYG staff are available to speak with you in person, online, by phone or by email.
As a member of the Speak-out Youth Group you are responsible for:
- Your attitude – If you’re having a bad day or need extra support please let us know. Staff and volunteers are here to listen.
- Your behaviour - Inappropriate and/or unsafe behaviour will not be tolerated and could result in removal from the meeting.
- Your boundaries - You are expected to maintain respectful boundaries with your fellow SYG members, staff and volunteers.
- Following the terms of the Community Agreement
The Community Agreement applies to ALL participants of Speak-Out Youth Group. This agreement was created in partnership with youth members of SYG and is put in place so that all members and partners can feel safe, respected and heard.
- Be respectful, honest, dedicated and punctual
- Respect confidentiality about what is shared – what is said in SYG, stays in SYG.
- No swearing
- Care for others
- No drugs or alcohol (yes, even on facebook)
- No ISMS (racism, sexism, ageism, etc…)
- No advertising or solicitation
- No inappropriate content (content that is vulgar or obscene)
- Guard your personal information – do not share your telephone number, home address, facebook, twitter or other specific information which may make your location easily discovered by others. If you’d like to share such information with other members, we advise you to do so with great forethought and caution, and only via the private messaging system.
When you are participating in this community, please keep in mind that we strive to create a safe, support driven community for those in the Speak-Out Youth Group community. We hope you are able to have fun and enjoy connecting with each other here. If you do not follow these guidelines, you may be removed from the Social Media group.
AFABC/SYG administrators have the final say on anything. If you have a problem, you may make a complaint to us directly. Please contact email@example.com with any questions or concerns. If you ever need clarification on these guidelines, please contact us privately.
BY MAR 19, 2009
Youthink, and/or its affiliates and subsidiaries, is the owner and operator of various self-owned magazines, books, custom publications, newsletters, directories, and web-sites, including without limitation, www.canadawide.com, www.bcbusinessonline.ca and www.bcliving.ca (collectively, the “Affiliates”).
- What is “Personal Information”?
- Our Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
- Your Consent to Our Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
- Use of Technology on the Website
- Links to Other Websites
- Security of Personal Information
- Requests for Access to Personal Information
- Requests for Correction of Personal Information
- Contacting or Communicating with Us
What is “Personal Information”?
Your “personal information” as defined at law, including without limitation, as defined under the Personal Information Protection Act of British Columbia, as amended from time to time (the “Act”), means all information about an identifiable individual (“Personal Information”). This Personal Information means information that can identify an individual (for example, your name, home telephone number, personal mobile telephone number, home address, personal email address, personal fax number, social insurance number, driver’s license number, physical description, and credit card or other financial information specifically about you). However, Personal Information does not include business “contact information”, which is defined under the Act as information to enable an individual at a place of business to be contacted for business purposes, such as name, position name or title, business telephone number, business mobile telephone number, business address, business email, or business fax number of an individual.
Our Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
Youthink collects, uses, and discloses your Personal Information obtained on the Website for itself and on behalf of its Affiliates solely for the following specified purposes:
- To inform you of the arrival of various new products and services available from Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time, including without limitation, various new magazines and custom publications from Youthink.
- To inform you of various contests, discounts, special offers, sales, and promotions offered by Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time.
- To inform you of special events hosted or sponsored by Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time.
- To provide you with any email, print, or other newsletters, online news releases, and publications of Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time.
- To inform you of customer satisfaction surveys and sales surveys of Youthink and its Affiliates from time to time.
Youthink will share any Personal Information obtained from you on the Website or otherwise only with its Affiliates. You should be aware that Youthink will not share or sell your Personal Information to any third parties or organizations other than its Affiliates. Youthink may communicate with you by email, mail, and various other means of communication for the specific purposes set out above.
Your Consent to Our Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
Use of Technology on the Website
In order to enhance your shopping and personalize your interactive experience, the Website uses “cookie” technology. A “cookie” is a small bit of data that gets stored your computer. Like many commercial Websites, we automatically collect other information by way of electronic means, using “cookies” which are small files placed on your hard drive that assist us in providing our products and services. This information includes the address (or “URL”) of the Website that you came from before visiting the Website, which web pages you visit on the Website, which browser software you use to view the Website, your IP address, and any search terms you have entered on the Website or in order to access the Website. This data is not used individually, but is aggregated and only used to tailor the Web-site to better meet your interests and preferences. Most browsers automatically accept “cookies”, but you can usually refuse “cookies”, or selectively accept “cookies”, by adjusting the preferences in your browser. If you turn “cookies” off, there may be some features of our site that will not be available to you.
In addition, Youthink uses third-party advertising companies, including without limitation, Google AdSense, which uses Google DoubleClick DART “cookies” to enable certain interest-based advertisements on the Website and the Affiliates. These third-parties may use information that is not Personal Information about your visits to the Website, the Affiliates, and other web-sites in order to provide interest-based advertisements about goods and services which may be of interest to you. You may opt out of the use of Google DoubleClick DART “cookies” at any time by opting out at http://www.google.ca/intl/en/privacy_ads.html.
Links to Other Websites
Security of Personal Information
Youthink and its Affiliates are committed to adopting and maintaining appropriate measures and safeguards to ensure the confidentiality of your Personal Information and to protect against any loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, copying, use, modification, or disclosure. Youthink exercises care in the secure transmission of your Personal Information; however, no transmission of Personal Information over the Internet is 100% secure. Youthink is unable to guarantee that Personal Information collected, used, or disclosed through the medium of the Internet cannot be intercepted by third parties.
Requests for Access to Personal Information
The Act permits individuals to submit written requests to us to provide them with:
- their Personal Information under our custody or control;
- information about how their Personal Information under our control has been and is being used by us; and
- the names of the individuals and organizations to whom their Personal Information under our control has been disclosed by us.
- Youthink will respond to requests in the time allowed by the Act and will make a reasonable effort to assist applicants and to respond as accurately and completely as reasonably possible. All requests may be subject to any fees and disbursements the law permits us to charge.
- Requests for Correction of Personal Information
- The Act permits individuals to submit written requests to us to correct errors or omissions in their personal information that is in our custody or control. Youthink will:
- correct the personal information and, if reasonable to do so, send correction notifications to any other organizations to whom we disclosed the incorrect information; or
- decide not to correct the personal information, but annotate the personal information that a correction was requested but not made.
Contacting or Communicating with Us
4th Floor, 4180 Lougheed Highway,
Canada V5C 6A7
If you are dissatisfied with our handling of your personal information, we invite you to contact our Privacy Officer in writing, setting out the reasons for your concern. If, after our Privacy Officer has reviewed and responded to your concern, you remain dissatisfied, you may wish to contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia at:
Youth in BC volunteers are trained in active listening skills, support and crisis intervention by professional staff members of the Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Centre of BC. Youth in BC volunteers are not licensed professionals; therefore are not trained to give advice. As such, we may encourage you to consult with an appropriate professional about your problems and concerns.
The Youth in BC online chat is designed for private communication between you and a Youth in BC volunteer. To ensure you receive the best quality of support, supervisors will occasionally monitor chat sessions and chat logs. If we are concerned that you or someone else is in immediate danger, we are required by law to contact the authorities. This may include reporting pertinent identifying information to appropriate agencies that can intervene on behalf of the person in danger.
Youth In BC values and respects user?s rights to confidentiality. Users are not required to provide any personal identifying information while using our services. However, we encourage users to input their age and location to ensure accurate statistical analysis of our user base. Youth In BC uses this statistical information in order to provide effective, ongoing and relevant service to youth in need. Information provided us is used to evaluate and improve our existing services and to design further programs to support youth like yourselves. Also, non-identifying information may be used to research Youth in BC services.
Youth in BC is not responsible for contents of any off-site pages or services provided by other organizations. We do our best to ensure that all links on our site are accurate and working. Please report any broken links or links which may have become inappropriate to the Youth in BC Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org